Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Name name name, what's in a name, anyway?

When I was thinking what to call the press that I wanted to start, the name came very quickly. I thought of the feeling I had whenever I saw something I wrote appear in print. It was pure elation. So, I had it: Elation Press. Being a Christian, elation can also describe that incomprehensible joy that enters your heart when you ask Jesus to accompany you on your life's journey.

When I thought of launching a new Christian quarterly for Victoria, BC and Vancouver Island, I struggled with finding a name. I would flip open my Bible, comb newspapers, magazines and thumb through the phone book. I felt so uninspired. I began to pray about it. I had a few criteria: I wanted it to be short, a noun and a verb and have something to do with the ocean. Kind of a tall order, thinking back. The Bible perusing ended up being fruitful. I came upon scripture: Psalm 55:22: "Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall." There it was . . . Cast! As someone who loves to fly fish, this was perfect. I love that it has a theatrical meaning as well. We, as humans are a cast of characters. (I know Shakespeare used this metaphor first "All the world's a stage /And all the men and women merely players") With God as our director, we will play our roles to the best of our ability.

1 comment:

  1. luv this bit of background, Natalie!
    names have always been huge to God ~
    well done ")

    ReplyDelete