Sunday, October 21, 2012

Sabbath-Keeping: Reflections on Sunday

After listening to Joyce Rees speak about the Sabbath last Sunday (part of the Adore 2012 Conference), I picked up a book by Vancouver Island writer and pastor, Mark Buchanan, THE REST OF GOD. I have been reading it since last Monday . . . and as every day's challenges and hurdles bombarded me, my anticipation was a parched and dry mouth awaiting that gentle gulp of water, Sunday. Every day presented itself with another mountain, and the quest for Sunday arrived . . . and I welcomed it.

I opened my work e-mail, something I do not normally do on Sunday, and there I was in a wasp's nest. A friend of mine was making a demand on my time today, and I was outraged. Seriously seriously outraged. I had been cultivating this field of time for the whole week, and again, someone or something was infringing upon my time with God.

So, what did I do? I considered this request. I prayed about it. And, I made a decision. I had made a date today with rest, and this request interrupted that (it was something that could wait), so I said to my friend, "Sorry, I can't help you with this today."

This act was liberating -- but I was spiralling into anger and supreme righteous indignation and tumbling fast . . so I wrote a song. I wrote it from God's perspective:

Come to Me
I've set a table just for you
Come to Me
Come be here with Me

You are so adored
I am Your Holy Lord
Come to Me
And hear My Word

I have a song for you
I sang it before you were born
Your heart was prepared for me
Come here and just be

Rest my child and stay
Hear Me as I sing out loud
You are created with purpose
And can you hear its sound?

The love I put in you
Cannot be hidden away
I gave you this joyful heart
and taught you how to pray

I went on with my special day and practised how to be celebratory and just relax with my family and enjoy His presence and gentle persuasion.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment